How to Prepare for Remote Depositions: An Attorney's Guide
Offering Court Reporting Services for All Attorneys
Cady Reporting offers the latest in state-of-the-art realtime reporting, legal video, trial support and conference hosting!
An Attorney’s Guide to Preparing for Remote Depositions
With the current global situations, attorneys are learning more about the wonders of remote depositions and videoconferencing than ever. To help things move more smoothly, legal professionals across the country have complied tips on how to have a flawless remote deposition. At Cady Reporting, we will make sure your case runs smoothly with your favorite Cleveland court reporters.
Prior to the Deposition
Before a deposition, it is crucial that everyone is on the same page. Make sure you contact all the proper parties with the information they need to be successful.
- Contact your court reporting firm and let them know you’d like a court reporter for your videoconference, so they can set up the service and distribute the link to all parties and witnesses.
- Email any exhibits to your court reporter and other participants. You can also use a screenshare option to share the exhibits during a meeting.
- Place a stipulation on the record that the deposition will be conducted remotely and the oath will be administered remotely.
- Remember: all parties must agree to conducting the deposition via videoconference based on this law: Ohio R. Civ. P. 30(b)(6), “The parties may stipulate . . . that a deposition be taken by telephone or other remote means.”
Courtesy Rules for Every Deposition
Being clear and being patient is crucial to a successful remote deposition. Keep these tips in mind to help the proceedings run smoothly.
- Allow the court reporter the opportunity to get all appearances before starting.
- Mute your microphone if you are not speaking, as background noise is distracting to all.
- Speak slowly, do not speak over another person, and read documents slowly. Be patient if someone asks for clarification.
- Provide a key list of words and phrases (such as companies, streets, and names) to your court reporter to ensure everything is spelled correctly.
- Give your court reporter the opportunity to check for any spelling confusions and to get orders before everyone hangs up.
Prior to the remote deposition, make sure you have technology that can handle the bandwidth a remote deposition requires. This includes:
- Having a device with a built-in webcam or using an external webcam.
- Having good internet speed in your location.
- Closing browser windows and programs you do not need to prevent interruption or lag in your stream.
- Turning off all notifications on the device you use for the videoconference to avoid stream interruption.
- If an audio test reveals problems with your computer audio, call in to the conference using the number provided by the videoconferencing platform.
Schedule a Service!
Our Cleveland, Ohio Offices
Western Reserve Building
1468 West 9th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Cleveland, Ohio Court Reporters
Cleveland Legal and Court Reporting News
As legal professionals everywhere return to their physical offices after months of working from home, they are having to re-learn how to resume work while keeping safe. "Business as usual" is not "usual" anymore, and we have to adapt to keep our co-workers, clients,...
Do you have an internet connection and a webcam? (Or another internet-capable device?) Then you are ready for your deposition! You can experience a life-like deposition while staying safe and comfortable in your own home or office. In a remote or Zoom deposition, you...
Hello to all of you! We hope that you continue to stay safe and well. As we all try and stay safe in this environment of COVID-19, we realize that taking in-person depositions is made difficult by the social distancing requirements. Cady Reporting would like to make...
Credit: Ghidotti Communications Cady Reporting is pleased to announce their remote deposition services. Remote depositions allow attorneys and their entire legal teams to meet "face-to-face" without leaving the comfort and safety of their home. Clients can share...
Let's do a quick check of your equipment. You will need the following for a virtual deposition: Laptop, iPad, computer or other device that has a camera, microphone and can connect to wifi. If you don't have a device that has a camera and/or microphone, there are...
What did Cady and their wild team of Cleveland-based court reporters do this past week? To review and whew! What a great week! 😊 Let’s take a look where our court reporters were the past few days. This week our court reporters and legal videographers covered...