How to Prepare for Remote Depositions: An Attorney's Guide
Offering Court Reporting Services for All Attorneys
Cady Reporting offers the latest in state-of-the-art realtime reporting, legal video, trial support and conference hosting!
An Attorney’s Guide to Preparing for Remote Depositions
With the current global situations, attorneys are learning more about the wonders of remote depositions and videoconferencing than ever. To help things move more smoothly, legal professionals across the country have complied tips on how to have a flawless remote deposition. At Cady Reporting, we will make sure your case runs smoothly with your favorite Cleveland court reporters.
Prior to the Deposition
Before a deposition, it is crucial that everyone is on the same page. Make sure you contact all the proper parties with the information they need to be successful.
- Contact your court reporting firm and let them know you’d like a court reporter for your videoconference, so they can set up the service and distribute the link to all parties and witnesses.
- Email any exhibits to your court reporter and other participants. You can also use a screenshare option to share the exhibits during a meeting.
- Place a stipulation on the record that the deposition will be conducted remotely and the oath will be administered remotely.
- Remember: all parties must agree to conducting the deposition via videoconference based on this law: Ohio R. Civ. P. 30(b)(6), “The parties may stipulate . . . that a deposition be taken by telephone or other remote means.”
Courtesy Rules for Every Deposition
Being clear and being patient is crucial to a successful remote deposition. Keep these tips in mind to help the proceedings run smoothly.
- Allow the court reporter the opportunity to get all appearances before starting.
- Mute your microphone if you are not speaking, as background noise is distracting to all.
- Speak slowly, do not speak over another person, and read documents slowly. Be patient if someone asks for clarification.
- Provide a key list of words and phrases (such as companies, streets, and names) to your court reporter to ensure everything is spelled correctly.
- Give your court reporter the opportunity to check for any spelling confusions and to get orders before everyone hangs up.
Prior to the remote deposition, make sure you have technology that can handle the bandwidth a remote deposition requires. This includes:
- Having a device with a built-in webcam or using an external webcam.
- Having good internet speed in your location.
- Closing browser windows and programs you do not need to prevent interruption or lag in your stream.
- Turning off all notifications on the device you use for the videoconference to avoid stream interruption.
- If an audio test reveals problems with your computer audio, call in to the conference using the number provided by the videoconferencing platform.
Schedule a Service!
Our Cleveland, Ohio Offices
Western Reserve Building
1468 West 9th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Cleveland, Ohio Court Reporters
Cleveland Legal and Court Reporting News
After over a year of quarantine and limited human interaction, things are starting to open back up and some people are getting back to what they call “normal”. While Zoom depositions are here to stay, we are noticing our Cleveland court reporters being requested for...
Cady Reporting is pleased to announce our new page on the differences between remote and in-person depositions. No matter which deposition a client schedules, both forms serve the same purpose. The major differences, however, have to do with how one prepares for said...
Do you need to take a deposition in Elyria, Ohio? If you are looking to hold a deposition in Elyria, Ohio and you need a court reporter to cover it, we want you to know that we are available to schedule everything attorneys need to hold a deposition. Schedule here...
The world of court reporting and litigation support has changed exponentially over the past several decades. It is essential that we keep up with the ever-changing needs of attorneys to provide them the best service possible. In spite of that need, so many court...
Legal video has become a quintessential service litigation support firms offer. Along with a court reporting service, legal video serves as a great resource during the research and discovery process, as well as in a trial. Despite how crucial they have become in the...
FALSE. Not all court reporters are alike. There are several important things to consider before you hire a court reporter for a…